Thursday, October 14, 2010

Response to Yellow

Prior to doing these readings, I was aware of the rights that gay couples are denied of and why it is so important to fight to allow them to obtain those rights. But I was completely oblivious to the fact that the fight for gay marriage is largely geared to white upper class gay men and completely disregards the minority LGBQT’s fight for basic rights and acceptance. The reading that surprised me the most was Paula Ettlebrick’s “Since when is Marriage a Path to Liberation.” I was definitely a little turned off when I first started reading it. The article started off dismissing everything I had believed and fought for regarding gay marriage. I believed that gay marriage was the pinnacle of acceptance, and once that was achieved everything would be great and the issue would basically disappear. But as I continued to read, I realized that she was making some REALLY valid points. She clearly states that justice for gay men and lesbians can only be achieved when societal accepts and supports this group despite the relationship status across all cultural boards. Additionally she points out that even if gay marriage is approved, a percentage of this group will not reap the same benefits as the rest of it. She believes that acceptance and equality must be achieved before gay marriage is approved. I think she really has a good point that approving gay marriage might be getting ahead of the movement and ourselves. Though this article opened my eyes to the reality of approving gay marriage from the standpoint of a supporter of LGBTQs, I still believe that gay marriage should be approved because at least some major rights and equality will be then distributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment