Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Follow Up: Responding to Carolyn's Post"

I think Douglas addresses key issues in this new Enlightened Sexism that the media portrays. It is so easy to look at these strong women role models on television and think that there is no need for feminism today. But quite the contrary is true. We still have much further to go before we reach true equality. I think that Douglas is right on target with her analysis of how we watch shows and think if we are laughing at the characters we are not really affected by the stereotypes they are representing. You laugh at this display of sexism while still being affected by it and you do think if even for a second what if I had bigger chests?

When she talks about shows like "My Super Sweet Sixteen" I can relate because I had a big sweet sixteen party. I have to admit I acted like a brat and even cried but I'm not sure if I did it because I was an avid viewer of the show and felt like that was how I was supposed to behave or if it was purely my reaction to the situation.

When she is talk about the marketing to tween girls I remember reading many articles about how much buying power they have and the product that had tweens going crazy http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sevensidedcube.net/wp-content/uploads/hannah-montana-show.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sevensidedcube.net/miley-cyrus-bids-adieu-to-hannah-montana/&usg=__UclQSaPqPoHsY6Wmq_XZ78Xm0Tw=&h=1024&w=796&sz=143&hl=en&start=0&sig2=Tfa-onn4V6VzTk0vEiWTzw&zoom=1&tbnid=4ko6PbWnbp0CTM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=98&ei=svd-TK7IN4T7lwf82LW-Dg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhannah%2Bmontana%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D890%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1460&vpy=182&dur=389&hovh=255&hovw=198&tx=130&ty=136&oei=svd-TK7IN4T7lwf82LW-Dg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0
I am unsure if Hannah Montana is apart of Enlightened Sexism but she may very well be.

No comments:

Post a Comment