Thursday, September 16, 2010

Response to Sara

I really enjoyed today’s readings because I felt that they explored more controversial topics in Douglas’s argument and really forced me to seriously consider things I would never have given a second thought to in the past. For example, Clueless is one of my favorite movies. I think it is hysterical to watch a California Valley girl struggle through life. I also feel that she is not as laughable as Douglas considers. In her own way, Cher is considerate and intelligent. She tries to help others in her own way- by giving makeovers and by setting them up on dates. In each of the two cases, this works out well and all the people involved are very happy. Cher is also usually fights for what she wants and gets it in the end. In one scene, she is showing her father her report card and proudly says that she argued her C up to an A. Although having an actual A would have been more impressive for her character, I like that she acts anti-feminine and argues for a better grade; typically only male characters are so manipulative. Furthermore, Cher is tougher and more genuine than her valley girl veneer initially shows. At one point, one of her male friends is too aggressive and tries to make moves on her. She repeatedly resists his moves and removes herself from the situation. She responds well to a dangerous situation and does not simply do something she doesn’t want to. Cher is also able to look past the superficial and form more meaningful relationships. Her former step-brother is not the most attractive or popular character and in the end, Cher forms a romantic relationship with him. I think watching this movie on the basic level does not put Cher in the best light for a female role model, but if you look deeper to a core one can better appreciate the character development and the real messages being portrayed. Moreover, Clueless set the precedent for movies shown from the female perspective. Other future movies, including my personal favorite Mean Girls, would depict various situations from the female point of view. Finally, we get a deeper glance into the female psyche. This enables the American public to see what women are really thinking. I agree with Douglas that yes, occasionally these shows are a tad dramatic, but in most cases I don’t feel that they are overly exaggerated. I think that most high school girls would agree that characters in Mean Girls could have come straight from their own high school. With the advent of chick flicks, American society has the chance to better understand women and I think it also works positively to encourage more curiosity about women’s thoughts on various topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment