Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Follow Up: Response to Sara's Post"

I enjoyed a lot of aspects of today's reading. In the reading by Tiya Miles she brings up really good points about learning from the past. If they would have read about the feminist groups of the past they could have foreseen the problems and issues and addressed them before it destroyed the group. I'm glad that now she"s seen what the group could have possibly done and maybe she can start a feminist dialogue now because it is never too late. The other two articles were interesting one I had read before (McIntosh) and the other whom I read works of hers before but this one was new to me. This weeks readings left me with memorable quotes. The first is "In our world, divide and conquer must become define and empower" and the second is "The cultural correlation between wealth and worth". The last quote made me think of a line from Kanye West "All falls down" which says "They made us hate ourselves and love they wealth". I think that is an ideal thought that is culturally European and Western. The more money you have the more important and therefore worthy you are in this society. The truth of the matter is that this belief is completely false and that the wealthier classes have had opportunity to be heard and so they make up the majority of history because the thoughts of less wealthy people were not recorded but that doesn't mean that their thoughts and experiences aren't worthy. I just felt this quote really spoke to me and the Womens movement as well in the way that everyone despite their economic or racial background has something to say and should be heard. I enjoyed all the readings and loved the quotes by bell hooks especially. This enlightenment has started me in a quest to read more feminist authors and more articles and stories on feminist thought in and outside this classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment