Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Follow Up: Response to Sara's Post"

I enjoyed both chapter 4 and 5 in Douglas' Enlightened Sexism. Chapter 4 talked about New Girlyness and I think that it is so funny how women were being girly but also warrior women at the same time. Douglas talks about "Clueless" which gave a rise to blockbuster chick flicks and women and girls perspective in movies an television. We get to see the movie from Cher point of view and it is an insight that was rarely seen in movies. With "Ally McBeal" she talks about how we get the strong women but at the same time get the whiny girls insecure moments. I think that i true to life in the lives of women balancing between being successful and still feminine.

I loved Chapter 5 and the fact that we got to look at the black women perspective in media and with feminism. I enjoyed that she put the bit in there about Wanda Sykes and her "detachable vagina" idea. I think that is probably some woman's ultimate fantasy to be able to not be bogged down with the responsibility of having a vagina because it creates so much difficulty and fear with her example or be accosted or raped. I really also liked how she talked about television examples of black women. In Grey's Anatomy I love Miranda Bailey I feel like her character strikes the perfect balance of being a successful surgeon but still being a woman and not having that hold her back but in fact do her job better. In one episode after she has a child her colleagues question if she is too soft and emotional to be in her position anymore and she shows that her becoming a mother actually gives her better insight when it comes to her patients. I also like how she talks about the raw data that black women are still at a huge disadvantage in this country despite the facade of powerful figure heads like Oprah and Dr. Bailey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVM2rjdOG8Q

No comments:

Post a Comment