Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Follow Up Response for Readings 11/11

Until reading these articles, I wasn't really aware that giving birth still could be so dangerous. I mean I knew that back in the 1800's a lot women died in childbirth. But it is really scary that it can still pose such a threat, though not nearly as much as it used to. Also after the readings I am still confused over the debate on C-sections. While the first author presented a valid argument that C-sections are potentially less dangerous than natural childbirth, the second author clearly opposes them. In my opinion I think surgery should only be used as a last resort. No surgery has a 100 percent guarantee and the baby and mother can also be easily be harmed in during a C-section. I also think that there is something really special to be said about natural childbirth. I think it is amazing that women have been successfully giving birth naturally for thousands of years, and medical intervention is a fairly recent phenomenon. These articles also to brought to mind that while countries like the United States and other developed countries have been able to improve the mortality rate of childbirth, developing countries still struggle with this. In a sense a large percentage of the world is still stuck with childbirthing practices of hundreds of years ago. I think it should be a main priority of the developed countries to educate these countries about this modern medicine and practices for childbirth.

No comments:

Post a Comment