Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Response for 11/9


I find the subject of abortion particularly interesting because it is something that I feel women my age more frequently encounter. Although I have not, thankfully, had to make the decision weather to abort a pregnancy, I’ve known girls that have. I think most girls know of someone that has had an abortion, has been rumored to have had an abortion, or stayed pregnant. It is a controversial topic and one that certainly sparks conversation. Most sexually active women consider abortion; it is usually believed to be the worst-case scenario and one that many people seriously stress about. I’m not sure if being pregnant or aborting the baby would worry me more; I think the decision would be the most trying part of the whole ordeal. I would always wonder what would have happened had I made the other decision. I cannot even imagine being in that situation and seriously sympathize with those that have made such a serious decision. I found the “Vacuum Cleaners, Abortion, and the Power Within” reading the most interesting because I think it offered a unique perspective about abortion. Strangely, the author was pro-life but had three abortions previously.  Also interesting is that the author acknowledges the advancements feminists have made to even earn the right for abortions, “I thank the people who bent over backwards so that I can have the luxury of experiencing the beliefs that I know hold” (117). I think the author makes a great point by saying that abortion should not divide feminists. The controversy is one that only serves to divide the feminist cause and distracts women from the flaws within our patriarchal system. I also think her point about organic abortions was brilliant. I think one reason that abortions are so abhorrently protested against is because the procedures are so public and grotesque. Having to walk to a clinic in order to have a fetus sucked out of your body is disgusting and humiliating. I feel that if women had more private ways to deal with unwanted pregnancies, abortion may not divide our country as much. Women could make their own decisions without having to advertise it to the rest of their communities. Furthermore, protestors could not interrupt a private moment within someone’s life.  Overall, I think abortions should be decided for or against on an individual basis within the privacy of one’s home. The decision is monumental for women and also potentially upsetting to many people; if left in the privacy of one’s home I think women could reunite and focus on more pressing matters in society.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I think having the option to decide on whether to get an abortion or not is hard enough, and going through with it, is a life changing experience. Being with loved ones without the worry of humiliation or fear, is where I would want to be if I ever had the decision to make. Having the ability to take care of something this monumental in a place where no one else has to know or give input is comforting. And after reading the article, "vacuum Cleaners, Abortions, and the Power Within", I would say that any other method of abortion besides the vacuum is what I would choose, and not only would it be less painful, but it can be done without the help of doctors or physicians--just you, and the people you want to be there for you.

    ReplyDelete