Monday, November 8, 2010

Follow Up Response to readings for 11/09

I thought this weeks readings were really interesting in their approach to the subject of abortion. Having never faced the decision of having an abortion, I have never really thought about the emotional struggles over having an abortion. Despite this emotional disconnect, I have always been pro-choice, and have often wondered why anyone, especially young women, would even question keeping the baby if they have the means to abort it (to me pregnancy at a young age seemed like a life sentence). After doing the readings, I felt as if I had a greater acceptance and was more understanding of the choices women choose to make. The article, “Abortion, Vacuum Cleaners and Power Within” I found it a little disturbing as it vividly described the process of an abortion. Additionally, I found some of claims farfetched and also became frustrated with her lack of sexual responsibility, which put her in the situation of having to weigh her options three times. I really liked the article, “And so I Chose.” I enjoyed how she didn’t try to ram her opinion on the issue of abortion down her audience’s throat, and instead focused on educating the public so that they would be able to make the best judgment for themselves. Her article really exemplifies what it means to be pro-choice. I think a lot of people automatically assume that someone who is pro-choice would automatically choose to have an abortion. But what this article clearly demonstrates is that pro-choice really just means keeping your options open and being able to make a decision which is right for one’s on situation. I think this article helped me to re-align my pro-choice ideology to realize that even when I think an abortion is the right solution, for some it might not be, and that we all have to the live with the consequences of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment